The Cryptonomist and Cryptohelper conducted a brief search together to find out how much the top cryptocurrencies by market capitalization are searched on Google, social networks and how the official sites are visited.
Top cryptocurrency sites by visits
The first thing to notice is that visits to the sites of the top cryptocurrencies do not follow the market cap order at all.
In some cases, this is due to the fact that the official website is also an exchange or has within it an important news section. Anyway, these are the data taken from SimilarWeb for the month of April 2020.
- Bitcoin, the Bitcoin.org website: 1.37 million;
- Ethereum, or Ethereum.org: 538.20k;
- Ripple, or Ripple.com: 334.86k;
- The Tether stablecoin, or Tether.to: 97.36k;
- Bitcoin Cash, or Bitcoincash.org: 109.87k, although most users definitely refer more to Bitcoin.com which has 2.26 million hits;
- Bitcoin SV, or BitcoinSV.io: the data is not public on SimilarWeb, so it’s probably either obscured or the visits are so few that the site doesn’t report them;
- Litecoin, or Litecoin.org: 72.41K;
- Binance, or Binance.com: 23.19 million;
- EOS, or EOS.me: 61.06K;
- Tezos, or Tezos.com: 89.08k.
This time instead, by using a site like Lunar Crush, which takes into account both social engagement and the price performance of a crypto, we see once again that the list does not follow the market cap.
In first place, there is – at the time of writing this article – Bitcoin, but for the rest, the list is completely different and in fact right after there is BNB and then the Energy (NRG) cryptocurrency that would be ranked 65 on CoinMarketCap.
Basically, this allows seeing that the most valuable crypto assets or those with higher volumes are not necessarily the ones most talked about on social networks or the ones with the most visited websites.
In this ranking of the 10 cryptocurrencies for social engagement, some of the most famous ones and at the top in terms of market cap don’t even appear. However, the truth is that these data change every minute.
The cryptocurrencies in Google searches around the world
Different data can still be obtained by checking Google Trends over the last month worldwide.
Bitcoin is always at the top, but the other crypto-assets do not follow the market cap order. In fact, it looks like this:
Data on Twitter Audit
According to Twitter Audit data, these are all real followers for the official accounts of the first 10 projects by capitalization, ranging from 99% to 92%.